Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Sprintervals

As I've blogg-ed previously, my aerobic capacity sucks. It doesn't suck as hard as it used to, but it's still not good. This has been proven time and time again at roller derby practice, where I'm generally the last to finish almost every drill (except for suicides, and that's because a) we usually do them first so I have more energy and b) I cheat at the end. Ha ha, suckers. But kids, I'm only cheating myself. So that I won't be last at everything.) and am always a red-faced sodden headache-having mess.

So, if I'm going to survive 2 20 minute periods of 2 minutes of skating hard with 1 minute rests, I must train for same. I have now had two running with sprinting interval workouts, one on a treadmill, one running outside.

On the treadmill, I was able to do 4 intervals of 2 minutes sprinting, one minute jogging. After that I was done. I only did 25 minutes of running total, also, so I didn't feel like it was the greatest workout. Then yesterday I ran for 30 minutes and did 5 intervals of 2 minutes sprinting, 2 minutes jogging. I'm afraid that part of this is that I'm just going to have to get used to feeling terrible for 2 minutes at a time, and will have to push myself to being in that state for longer and longer. I just don't see any way to get better.

O' course, I'm also trying to avoid injury. So tonight I won't do a sprinting interval workout - If I do work out, I'll just do a more low-key endurance workout.

Good story, right? Yeah. I know.

2 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

I don't do sprintervals, but I do a sprinting bit at the end of my run, and it definitely will help with your endurance. I find now I have a little bit in reserve I didn't know I had. So I definitely recommend it, even while it may be exhausting right now!

PS. I gained 4 pounds in a week, so my sympathies. And this was WITH exercising every day--huh?

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know! Yaaay, all of us gained weight over the holidays. It's just a holiday thing, I think. It's a biological requirement.
Altho', there were people at my WW meetings who had lost weight. So... um... I dunno.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home