Friday, December 19, 2008

The Youth and What They Have to Teach Us

Wow, I had no idea I'd grown up to be such a tight-ass. But it's true. I got given an intern today. Once again, still a temp here... why am I being tasked with keeping the intern busy? I reckon because keeping the intern busy is not the best of jobs. Anyway, there's always random work that no one else has time to do, so I've been giving her stuff, no problem.

Every time I give her instructions she asks me for a piece of paper so she can write them down. Today I tried to give her a swag notebook I'd gotten from our extremely hot software salesman (seriously, dude was foin!) I said, "Here. You can keep this. And use it." She proceeded to rip a page out of it and take only the page with her.

I also have yet to give her a task without her stopping to take a call on her cell phone. And it's funny, so far I don't think any of the calls have been business calls. Although, does it count as business if it's your mom who got you the internship who works in the next building over who calls four or five times a day? I guess probably.

I overlooked the gumsnapping and excessive chatter, because, well, whatever. But I really want to sit her down and give her what for, just in general. That first professional ass-kicking can be so crucial to a career.

1 Comments:

Blogger atomic cate said...

The what for must be had. be firm, but gentle. you know it, i know it, and if she has any sense, in a couple years after, she'll know it.

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home