Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Paranoia

I'm currently temping for a govvie contractor in a complex that is home to many fed agency offices. There are folks in various uniforms moseying around and the secret squirrel/petty bureaucrat quotient is high.

Recently I was tasked with determining the fire safety rating of the filing cabinets in my office. Yes, I was tempted to just light one on fire and see how long it took to burn. In reality I just called the supply company and researched the various office furniture safety ratings available on teh interwebs.

I also recently watched the Battlestar Galactica miniseries again. You know the one? The one where Caprica gets nuked about a kajillion times? Yeah, that one.

End result of all this: today there was a bright lightning flash followed by a very loud crack of thunder. I'm glad I was alone in my office because I immediately put my hands over my head and hunched down trembling over my desk. I was about half a second from crawling under the damn thing. It took a full minute for my heart rate to return to normal.

I thought I'd gotten jaded and insensitive to living in the DC area... apparently, not so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home