Tuesday, April 17, 2007

She's a maaaaniac, maaaaniac on the flo'

I watched Flash Dance for the first time on Sunday. I was, um... well I was a little offended by it, actually. I was entertained also, but also, kind of icked out.

It's definitely the straightest movie I've seen in a while, which is pretty impressive, considering part of it is set in some kind of steel mill/factory in Pittsburgh. A steel mill with no homoeroticism at all, whaaaa? There's so much gayness in movies that I didn't even notice there was so much gayness until I saw a movie that was so all about straight guys ogling scantily clad ladies.

And what about it is icky... I reckon it's because the girls are not aware of the ogling. There's Jennifer Beal, being a maniac, maaaaniac on the floor, dancing (in her own private loft space) like she's never danced before... little does she know there's a CAMERA ON HER ASS! HER JIGGLING JIGGLING ASS! La la la, dance dance dance... then she goes to hang out with her ice skater friend, who is scantily clad, and they skate around... little does skater girl know, THERE'S A CAMERA ON HER ASS TOO! At one point, creepy camera guy seems to be hanging out in the rafters of the ice rink, camera stalking the two friends. La la la, then the girls all convene to go work out. Little do they know, THEIR GYM LOOKS LIKE THE SET OF OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN'S VIDEO FOR GET PHYSICAL! and... THERE'S A CAMERA ON ALL THEIR ASSES!

Even when the girls are working their evening jobs as exotic dancers in the local bar you know they're thinking of it as art more than strippery, so there's voyeurism there too.

Of course what makes it all funny is when the one girl ends up being seduced by the local evil lothario and ends up working in the BAD strip club, the one where the girls just get nekkid and don't bother to be artistic at ALL, and so Jennifer Beal goes in and drags her friend out of the club and demands that she have some self-respect. Oh Jennifer B. It's a good thing you got into fancy ballet school with your breakdancing fusion jazz.

All that said, the music for Flashdance rules. One time I was in a karaoke bar and this young lady walked in and chose What Feeling and just Tore. It. Up. It's a song that you can tear up because it's just so freakin' awesome. I heart Irene Cara forever!

4 Comments:

Blogger Renpup said...

I'm pretty sure Flashdance got an Oscar nod for best cinematography, right?

For some reason, my gym shows the video for Olivia Newton John's "Physical" quite regularly. I'm not sure what that's all about.

5:47 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Well missy, I checked IMDB, and you're right, it was nominated for best cinematography, best film editing, and best song for the Manian Maaaaaniac song. And Irene Cara won for What a Feelin'. Of course, because it rules that hard. At fiiiiiirst... when there's nothiiiiing... but a slooooow glowing dreeeeeeam... etc.

8:08 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

The Maniac maniac song I mean... Man my typing sux lately.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

i am now quietly singing at my stupid day job a gloriously out of tune rendition of what a feelin...nice...

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home