Saturday, May 31, 2008

Go cry, emo kid

I bought a Weezer cover of The Pixie's Velouria. I really like it because it's not about Weezer bringing anything new to the song - the tempo is almost exactly the same, and there's maybe one or two characteristically Weezer feedback whines. It's not so much homage as a straight up copy. The main thing Weezer brings to it is the same intense wistfulness and sad frustration that Rivers Cuomo brings to every other Weezer song you've ever heard. When Frank Black sings it, he seems admiring, possessive, and joyful. My Velouria is really his Velouria. (An aside: I don't know what  Velouria was inspired by or what it's about, and I don't care.) When Cuomo sings it, he sounds mopey and bitter. This is so fitting for anyone covering a Pixies song - what a hopeless endeavor, and yet, how can anyone help it. It's so meta. I dig it.

1 Comments:

Blogger atomic cate said...

but does it have theremin?

and while i'm thinking of it, why don't i have a theremin?

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home