Thursday, January 22, 2009

Groodthings Tested, Mom-approved

Last night I had the pleasure of hearing Atomicate's band, Bette Noir, play at Bangkok Blues in happenin' Falls Church. Because all right-thinking people are Atomicate fans, my mom'n'dad came too. We opted to have dinner first, so we got to hear the sound check - Bangkok Blues is a nice venue for rock bands, they have their own PA and sound guy, and a little stage in the dining room. Earplugs are even provided by the establishment, a nice indication of their comittment to those about to rock.

And rock they did! Bette Noir is quite good I must say. Atomicate mostly takes lead vocals, and the lead guitarist does some of that too. Everyone in the band sings, so they do nice harmonies and backups. They all play their instruments well, and the drummer is particularly entertaining - he is so happy to be a-rockin' that he's as much fun to watch as to hear.

They did a mix of covers and originals. I really liked the covers they did - Mazzy Starr via the Gin Blossoms, Billy Idol and, just to make my heart skip a lil' faster, some Bee Gees. How can you not love that? You can't. You literally cannot not. They're like a wedding band but a million times cooler.

We could only stay for the first set, on account of me mum having the consumption. Afterwards she said, "You know, when I'm feeling a bit better, I wouldn't mind seeing Atomicate's band again." I concur.

1 Comments:

Blogger atomic cate said...

awww, you guys!

i was honoured to have the greater portion of the Mickle clan in attendance. i moved the Bee Gees to the first set just for you :)

i also felt pretty hard-core in my be-tassled over-knee socks. nothing says "bring on the rock" like purple pom-pom tassels bouncing against one's calves!

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home