Thursday, February 12, 2009

Last three pages

I'm on the last three pages of my story. Last night I reclined on my bed and watched the sporting dogs part of the Westminster Dog Show. It's become my ritual to watch some TV online before starting to write. I do it because this is the sequence of events for me:

Come home and eat dinner with the fam
Wash the dishes (it's my 'rent' for being a living-at-home loser)
Watch some TV online
Write

I could jump into writing immediately, but I'm too much of a wuss. I'm all, 'meeeh, I need time to veg out, meeeeh.' Normally, an epi of the Daily Show or Lie to Me chills me out and then I can get to workin' on the story. The Westminster Dog Show, though? Not so much. I didn't like it, but I wanted to see who won. It was Stump, who's all right I guess, but I really wanted the golden retriever to win, cuz it was so preeeeetty.

So I was grumpy when I started writing. Then I got grumpier cuz I'm at a tough point. It's the last three pages, where I wrote more terrible dialogue and pulled an ending out of my ass. It was rushed and I didn't do much work to get there. Now I have to do the work. And the way I originally wrote for it to get there wasn't working last night.

The adjective exercise is enormously helpful in this regard, because when you're grappling with a complicated task, it helps to be able to go back to a simple task. When I got too frustrated and wanted to stop I went back to adjective work. It didn't solve all my problems, but it kept me writing long enough to set the subconsious wheels rolling, and this morning I thought of a way to help the ending along that I like better than the original.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home