Tuesday, February 17, 2009

No percoset for you!

I saw my doc today to ask for percoset'n'muscle relaxants. My Virginia G.P. is much more on the ball than my NJ one, which is good. He allowed as how percoset just hides pain and doesn't have any therapeutic benefits, so he didn't prescribe it, although he did give me muscle relaxants. I could have argued that hiding pain is a therapeutic benefit, but eh, I can still walk and function, so I'm not going to push the pusher. When I got percoset before, standing and sitting were excruciating - the only semi-comfortable position was leaning most of my weight on my arms on a desk or chair and trying to keep as much weight as I could off my feet. In that case, percoset, yes please and right now thank you. As I am now, I can get by without it.

He also recommended a couple of orthopedists who specialize in back pain. What a freakin' concept. Are you listening, NJ doctor? Well, no, you're not, but I wish you would, cuz this is how it's done. So the point of orthopedery, as I understand it, is to tell me whether or not I need surgery, and tell me what exercises I can safely do, and/or sign me up for more physical therapy. Frankly, even if they tell me I do need surgery, I ain't gonna do it without waiting a good year or two or three.

The troubling part is my doc told me not to do any exercise until the pain abates. It's good common sense, and I don't want to make matters worse. However. I am overweight. There is no doubt about this fact. There is scale evidence and worse, photo-documented evidence. Overweight exacerbates back problems. This is a fact. And it's going to be tough to lose any weight without exercise. It can be done, but it's tough. Grr.

2 Comments:

Blogger atomic cate said...

ah, the classic Catch-22 of health v. exercise.

me, i prefer the morphine.

1:19 PM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Yeah, too bad the lead singer died, that band was brilliant. (ba dum ch!)

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home