Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Read Aloud

This weekend, after a whole lot of procrastination, I read my short story out loud. I was quite scared of this task. I was finally able to do it by telling myself I could only watch Season 4 of Battlestar Galactica if I read my short story out loud to myself first, and that worked.

It wasn't as horrifying as I'd thought it would be, and was quite the helpful exercise. I was able to hear some oddly constructed sentences, and a few typos. The purpose of the exercise is to make you hear the sound of the language, and find places where there might be too much alliteration. I didn't so much notice odd/bad sounds, but I did hear quite a bit of repetition. I've managed to repeat information six or seven times, which is five or six too many. So I went in with an ax and cut a bunch of paragraphs. Yay!

Next up to work on: character and setting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home