Friday, June 08, 2007

Er, aren't wheat and grass different things? What's this 'wheat grass'?

I read a lot. Not so much books anymore, but I read a lot of stuff online - you know, when I should be working.

So last week I read an essay on Salon about spirulina: http://www.salon.com/mwt/food/eat_drink/2007/06/05/spirulina/ Supposably it's a perfect protein and a miracle food, and it cures malaise and dystemper and regulateth the humors. My humors have been pretty wack lately (I don't mind saying I've an excess of bile and my aura is kind of yaller) so I moseyed to my local low-cal Whole Foods (I still want to call it Fresh Fields, every time) to see what kind of blue-green algae they got.

Mostly, they got pills. I'm not a pill popper. I'll only take vitamins if they're Flintstones vitamins and at 30 I feel a little silly buying them. I was frankly hoping for some fresh slime, as indicated in the article, but they didn't have it in slime form.

They did have powder packets that you can mix into drinks, so I grabbed a couple of those, (the Whole Foods brand and a different brand) and also grabbed a dark green Naked smoothie, after reading that it's got spirulina, as well as other blue-green algaes.

I drank the Naked juice whilst watching the results show of So You Think You Can Dance. (My early fave: the odd but cute boy whose name I forget. Nigel called him odd, I just think he's hawt.) The label promised tastiness, and it was tasty, because it was in an apple juice base. Was it the apple juice on an empty stomach that made me feel eeeever so slightly nauseous, or the algae? Other than the vague tummy issues I had no other problems with it.

This morning I tried one of the packets. I'd gotten tomato juice to mix it in. Now, some people might argue that tomato juice is nasty in it's own right, without adding powdered sea slime, but I happen to like it. I poured half a glass of juice and then shook the powder in, and got to the first problem...

It looked like a third of the powder puffed up into the air, like some reverse form of chemical warfare. (Put on your gas masks! They're trying to make us breathe organically grown perfect chemical proteins!) I had to put the glass down and vigorously wave the greenish dust away. I breathed some of it and it was very, very... green. Stick your head into the spinach shelf at the grocery store, like up to your ears, and breathe in, and that's what it smelled like.

So the green powder was just kind of sitting on top of the thick red tomato juice... so I put some water in. Oops, it started foaming. So now it's a red/green thick foaming beverage. Nooooice! I held my nose and took a sip.

Very. Very. Green.

I took another. Ok, once the green shock has worn off, it's not that bad. In fact, when the foaming subsided, it was actually kind of good. Kind of sweet. Still though, it's a little, er, gritty.

Stay tuned for my reports of the miracle effects of spirulina. I'm not feeling any yet, but it's only been two doses. I dunno how much algae you gotta eat before it does... whatever it's supposed to do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm interested to hear what your experience with spirulina will be. I tried it probably close to a dozen years ago while working for Fresh Fields and it made me feel jittery...but I am the coalmine canary.

8:24 PM  
Blogger 3pennyjane said...

You'll know you've reached spirulina saturation when you can do photosynthesis with your ears.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home