Friday, June 29, 2007

Today I Am Thankful for Jesuit Public Radio

I'm a bit slow. Maybe more than a bit slow, maybe really slow. When provided with a list of unknown options, I tend to stick with the first thing I like. Also I have a need for the familiar, especially when I'm really unsure and uncomfortable.


I was very unsure and uncomfortable when I got to the fine state of New Jersey about one year ago, so the first order of business was to find the NPR station. Talk radio was a necessity because music only made me cry, so when I found WNYC I just left the dial there for, oh, about 8 months. I still miss my noontime dose of the Kojo Nnamdi show, but noontime Leonard Lopate is almost as good. And of course All Things Considered, Morning Edition and Weekend Edition are national, so no worries there. YES I listen to This American Life, and NO I don't care that it's for sissy hipsters. Eff you, I'm headin' to Brooklyn. But I digress.

So anyway, how did I ignore WFUV? I don't know. All I know is one morning I was tired of hearing about how many of which side got blown up in what region of Iraq, and I was tired of all of my CD's, so I changed points on the dial until I heard music, and a lot of it was really good. And now I'm addicted to City Folk Morning, even tho' the announcing is, well, kind of gay in the way that public radio announcing can be. (Sorry Claudia Marshall. I know you're buoyant enough that one negative blog post can't bring you down.)

How did I forget about Ryan Adams? Oh yeah, because of the Rock and Roll album and his many hissy fits. Luckily Fordham U., the Jesuit University of NYC, has a radio station that brought him back to me. They've been playing cuts from his new release, Easy Tiger, all week, and I remember now why I didn't want to forget him before.

Even more importantly, they played Looking At The World From the Bottom of a Well by Mike Doughty, who I surely would have missed otherwise. Oh man. That song rocks my lame ass so hard. I wore my Soul Coughing CD OUT in college.

So now there's a copy of Easy Tiger and Haughty Melodic wending towards my home.... I can't wait. It's one of many reasons I'm looking forward to 5 o' clock.

It's not all peaches and cream with WFUV. For every Magic Numbers song, there's a Lucy Kaplansky droner... and the music review segment at 7:50 every morning is completely intolerable. It's worth it tho'. I haven't had a music radio station to listen to since 1995. It's nice to have again.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you on the long-term love for Soul Coughing/Mike Doughty. The new stuff is less odd, and I kind of miss the druggy weirdness of SC, but I'm glad Mike is healthy and sober. I'd rather that than slightly weirder music. Have you read , btw?

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, broke that link text - was supposed to be to "his blog." Link seems to work, though.

9:55 PM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Yeah, his blog is neat. And yeah, his stuff is more singer-songwritery now. I'm hoping to go hear him in Asbury park in a couple o' weeks, yay!

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home