Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Counter Clockwise, Death of a Nemesis, and Szechuan

1. In derby, we skate counter-clockwise around the track. I'm not spatially talented, so I have to picture a clock, picture which way the hands move, make them move backward, make the clock face really large, and lay it down on the track, and then I go, 'oh yeah, we're moving counter-clockwise.'

It was even more difficult when we did a rotation drill and were told to rotate counter-clockwise within the pack. What did this mean? I couldn't make it work and never knew where I should be.

This weekend I went for a jog/walk around the track in the park. There were lots of folks out, and we were all walking counter-clockwise, except for one old guy defiantly stalking around in a clockwise direction.

So, who decided that when we move in a circle, we will move in this direction? Is it in our bodies? Does it have something to do with the tides? Or do we just feel like moving left and in, left and in, left and in?

2. Having been at my current job for some years now, I have built up a nemesis or two. One, a manager at a vendor, was so fearsome that I dreaded having to call her, email her, or do anything that she might have something to do with. Last year I had to have twice-monthly calls with her which always adversely affected my blood pressure. I just found out today that she passed away. I found her obituary. Apparently many people liked, loved and respected her. It feels very strange to know I won't work with her again.

3. Today we ordered chinese takeout for lunch. Here's how my co-worker pronounces the word 'szechuan': SHEH-shuh-wan. I secretly find this hilarious.

7 Comments:

Blogger 3pennyjane said...

La Mere was just kvetching about the clockwise dilemma. Plates of shrimp! I, on the other hand, have more trouble when we're told, in riding, to ride to the right or left rein; clockwise or counterclockwise would be easier. Tes strange.

12:28 PM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

See, I would be totally ok with right rein or left rein. But moving counter-clockwise in a small circle in the pack while skating counter-clockwise around the track... At one point when someone yelled 'COUNTERclockwise!' at me during the practice in question, I was like, 'er, my watch is digital, biotches. Hell to the yeah. Join me in the 21st century, the water's fine...'

12:43 PM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

P.S. for lunch today I had... a plate of shrimp. (and broccoli.)Weeeeird!

12:43 PM  
Blogger atomic cate said...

Does your coworker also say "Shed-yul"?

Hurricanes spin counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. I believe, also, that standing water given no other forces acting upon it (shape of sink, stirring water, etc.) always drains widdershins in the NH and dexter in the SH.

p.s. you're cute.

1:39 PM  
Blogger atomic cate said...

p.p.s. yes i am a complete and utter dork.

1:39 PM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Hmm, widdershins and dexter. Now I'm really spatially screwed, if your going to bring the orientations of other countries into it...

She doesn't say shedyul. She does say 'subsideraries' instead of subsidiaries.

I would not put it past her to say pasketti.

1:57 PM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

OMG I totally wrote your instead of you're. Oh the ironing!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home