Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Revisifications and where do we go from here?

This past week, I gave my second short story attempt to a few folks to read and offer comments. Well, I say 'gave'... The first person to read it, Mrs. Pinchloaf, said the title bothered her because it was a line from a Phantom of the Opera song and the song got stuck in her head. I suck at thinking up titles so I sent it to Atomicate and was basically like, I need you to rename this now. And she did! Yaaaay!

So Circus Jeff, Atomicate and Mrs. P read it and said stuff, and last night I took all their comments and worked over the story again, and then posted it to the writey group for critique next week. I would have waited until Friday to post, but the queue was filling up rather quickly. So now, thanks largely to the above-mentioned folks, it's a reasonably solid first draft, I think.

I also gave the story to a few other people - a scriptwriter friend in LA, Mrs. Pinchloaf's sister, who is a noted creative writing scholar, and my very own seesterperson, an infamous reader, writer and editor. Scriptwriter guy hasn't read it yet, but I give him a pass because he's an editor/director on Nip/Tuck, and therefore I get to use him to namedrop, like this: "Oh, well my friend in LA was talking to Katee Sackhoff the other day..." or "Word on the street is cute Ryan from Oz is actually a huge pain in the ass to work with..." So that's cool.

Mrs. Pinchloaf and Seestor get a pass because, well, everyone gets a pass. I look forward to their comments even though they don't know as many famous people as scriptwriter guy.

So now I have tonight. I don't want to work on second short story, because I'm waiting on hearing the writey groups reactions, but I don't want to take the night off either. So I think it's back to the random prompt generators for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home