Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Rewritey

I finally got back to the story draft last night. As usual, I was scared of the idea of starting, but everything was fine once I started. I focused on cutting the first page. It's a whole page of the setup, so I got comments that it started slow. I took an axe to it, and now the story starts 2/3rds of the way into the first page. So, it wasn't crazy successful, but it's a little better.

So right now, it's 6000 words. I will be very happy if I can get it under 5000, for the simple reason that 5000 is usually the word count limit for longer short stories in most of the online lit magazines I've looked at. I'm not sure if I'll get this story in shape to the point where I'll want to send it out, but even if I don't, I'll probably send it out, because it's just never too early to start collecting rejection slips. It's been a while since I've put myself out there for rejection, and it's something that requires constant practice.

4 Comments:

Blogger atomic cate said...

i reject your rejection talk ;)

i had this wonderful visual of you actually having an axe in your backyard, with slips of computer paper on a stump.

6:38 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Yeah, that's how I do it? Um... doesn't everyone? Hmm...

6:46 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

I mean, Yeah, that's how I do it! I cannot brain today. AGAIN.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

When you're ready, SEND IT OUT! Nothing to lose. Every rejection is a tic off the list leading to publishmentation. SEND IT OUT!

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home