Friday, March 13, 2009

Sleeeeeep

I think I finally got enough. Yesterday I went to bed at 8pm, and actually woke up just a couple of minutes before the alarm. Sweeeet!

Getting enough sleep is muy importante to me, because ever since Back Pain: The Sequel, I've been cutting calories to lose weight. And sleep-deprivation = more feelings of hunger. Yesterday I was esstarvink, and ate more than my allottment of 1500k. Good thing I passed out shortly after dinner or I'd have kept on eatin'.

I had been doing Weight Watchers online, and it wasn't working for me because I was doing it half-assedly, so I got and read Carol Lay's The Big Skinny. It's better than most diet books because it's a graphic novel. So anyways, rather than counting points I'm counting calories, and eating 500 less than it takes to maintain my weight, which is 1500 per day. Now that I'm ok'd for exermacise I'll be doing that too, starting... tomorrow. Not today. Tomorrow sounds good. Anyways, without daily exercise, I've lost 6 pounds int he last 3 weeks.

I am trying not to think about it too much, as thinking about it gets real tedious real fast. I'm happy with my progress so far, so I'll say no more about it for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

The more I read up on it, the more convinced I am that sleep deprivation accounts for more health problems than anyone suspects. Good on ya', mate. The trick is to make getting enough sleep regular, otherwise we're sort of binging and purging.

Also: Drink 18 ozs. of water when you wake up (or after morning workout). Apparently we dehydrate in our sleep -- imagine going eight hours during the day without a drink -- and this much water first thing makes our metabolisms say, "Whoa! Hey! I'm up, I'm up!"

7:19 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Yeah, I think you'n'the literature are prolly right. And this year, daylight savings time effed me up more than it has in any year past - I had trouble going to sleep at night and have been living with a deficit as a result.

Water -um, 18 oz is a lot. But I do drink water when I get up. I aksherly drink a lot of water on the daily, which has kind of made me hypersensitive to thirst. That's prolly a good thing. The downside to that plus eating lots of water-rich foods is, I um, get kind of tired of peeing. Srsly.

7:27 AM  
Blogger atomic cate said...

my 2ยข:
sleep: extremely important.

water: drink what your body says you need. that 8 glasses a day is just fabricated nonsense. drink more or less, but just what your body wants. (though drinking a lot of water can help people who confuse thirst & hunger lose weight.)

calorie counting: exactly what i did to lose 40 lbs. i did it to the teaspoon of salad dressing. difficult to maintain, but once you get in the habit, forty pounds later you'll be able to 'eyeball' your calories better. calorie counting and walks, long long walks.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home