Monday, January 26, 2009

Illness: Myths and Facts According to Moi

Today my superbizor told me she had to leave early because her daughter wasn't feeling well. I said I hoped her daughter felt better, and she said, "Well, I like for her to eat fruit as snacks, so I gave her some fruit, and I told her to WASH the fruit before she ate it, and she didn't."

I was like, o.... k. Hence this list:

Things That I Don't Think Make You Sick
  • Eating unwashed fruit. Unless you eat a metric ton of it, in which case you might absorb enough bacteria/pesticide/wax to make you ill. But then, eating the metric ton would probably make you sicker, in general.
  • Going outside with wet hair.
  • Not wearing a coat. Unless you count frostbite or hypothermia as illness, which I don't.
  • Picking your nose. My grandmother's theory: picking or even TOUCHING your nose will introduce harmful finger bacteria into your sensitive nasal cavities.
Things That I Think Do Make You sick
  • Not getting enough sleep. This is top of the list as far as I'm concerned.
  • Working really hard to get something accomplished over a few weeks or months, and then accomplishing said thing. Example: rehearsing for a show and then performing in the show. Right after closing night, expect illness.
  • Commuting using public transportation. Last year I got sick three times in a six month period. Thank you, NJ Transit! And thank YOU, all you NJ workaholics who pack the train to work whilst hacking and wheezing!
  • Getting a flu shot. This is just hubris, people. We are not, have not been and will never be entitled to a cure for the flu. Don't front.
  • Upping the amount or difficulty level of exercise you do regularly. This is sad but true: you have to run faster, lift more, and work out for longer in order to get stronger, but at the initial point of doing more, you're more illness-prone.

4 Comments:

Blogger atomic cate said...

while unwashed fruit could, theoretically, carry some type of pathogen, i think it's the same chance of getting sick as from, oh, say, eating fruit with your unwashed hands.
i pick my nose all the time, and i'm very healthy!
i think three of the Make You Sick list are actually the same: stress.
and yeah, i'm with you on the flu shots.

6:50 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Yeah, stress am bad. But I feel like most people are stressed all the time, and sickness only happens some of the time.

7:00 AM  
Blogger atomic cate said...

i don't think people work out that much. also, you're well for the whole lead-up to the end of the big project. you only get sick at the end.
maybe what i meant to say is, the release of stress :)

8:42 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Um, maybe YOU need to stop telling me what I meant to say. Lest I sneeze on you.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home