Wednesday, March 18, 2009

8 pounds and 3 pages

Hmm. My weight loss appears to be progressing faster than my draft revision. Doctors, scientists and MFA grads will have to combine forces to research this phenomenon.

On the weight loss issue: I usually have 500 calories left when I go home for dinner, and dinner is usually 300 calories. However, what with it being lent and all, sometimes it's more like 200. It seems crazy but it's true - when you have vegetable soup and sweet potatoes for dinner, that's about the right number. Stupid minimal-calorie vegetables. Anyway, I am not one to let 300 extra calories just go by the wayside, so I've been eating them in the form of cookies. Girlscout cookies, to be exact, and Samoas to be even more exacter.

It occurred to me, looking back on a week filled with late-night samoa snacks, that this might not be the very best thing to do, seeing as how I'm actually eating more cookie calories than healthy foods calories. But, they are awesome, and I'm still losing weight, so I'm not going to worry about it. Viva las cookies!

On the writing issue: I intended to write an alternate ending to my story last night. I haven't gotten there yet, though. I found that there were many dialogue problems to correct, and that led to cutting more words. It's amazing how comfortable I'm getting with cutting stuff. Once I was able to part with a few beloved paragraphs, I found there were many, many words that didn't need to be there. It still takes a while to do, but I'm thinking I can definitely make this a 5000 word story. Unfortunately I think I'll be getting to the hard part tonight. I did have a flash of 'arrgh, can't do this, everythign sucks' last night, but I brushed the feeling off and got back to work.

And then I watched two episodes of Firefly on the intertubes. Because I have solid priorities in life.

3 Comments:

Blogger atomic cate said...

that's the beauty of calorie counting. it doesn't matter where they came from, it's the same number of calories... three cups of green beans or one samoa.

of course, it's not good in the long run, but hell, it's stressful enough trying to lose weight so just enjoy the cookies.

8:20 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

I agree. Mmm, cookies.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Renpup said...

Oh, you know my philosophy on this: always save enough calories for ice cream. And really, you're eating plenty of veggies and fruits, probably more than usual, right? 'Nuff said.

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home