Monday, May 04, 2009

Q&A

Q: So, walkinghomefromthethriftstore, you haven't been posting much. What's up with that?

A: I dunno. Not much was going on, I guess.

Q: Is it because you got sucked into Facebook, and that took all of your posting energy?

A: Mmmmaybe.

Q: What do you think of Facebook?

A: Like so many other intertubes gifts, it's a double-edged sword.

Q: How so?

A: It creates the illusion of intimacy without actually building relationships. You can confirm existing relationships through the FB medium, but you can't build new ones without some level of person to person real-life interaction. So it's like eating twinkies - tasty and distracting, even addictive, but ultimately the opposite of nutritious.

Q: Isn't that true of any intertubal communication? Why call out Facebook?

A: Ugh, hasn't this already been adequately addressed in the media? In fact, hasn't everyone moved on to deconstructing Twitter?

Q: I guess so. Any thoughts on Twitter?

A: Emphatically no.

Q: Ok. So let's move on - are you still writing?

A: Not really. And by not really I mean no.

Q: Why not?

A: Cuz it's hard?

Q: Yeah, but...

A: Um, I don't know. It's a habit I fell out of.

Q: Got any plans to fall back in?

A: Sure. At some point. Hopefully soon-ish.

Q: Ok. So what else is new?

A: I got an A+ Certification For Dummies book!

Q: Um... ok, why?

A: Cuz I love any test that gives you an A+ just for passing!

Q: No, really.

A: Cuz I have crushes on all the Helpdesk boys?

Q: Come on now. Why, really?

A: Well, because I work for an IT firm now, and I barely know my ass from an OS.

Q: What's an OS?

A: EXACTLY.

Q: So, what exactly is the A+ certification?

A: It's an international, vendor-neutral certification recognized by major hardware and software vendors, distributors and resellers. CompTIA A+ certification confirms a technician's ability to perform tasks such as installation, configuration, diagnosing, preventive maintenance and basic networking. The exams also cover domains such as security, safety and environmental issues and communication and professionalism.

Q: Did you steal that from a website?

A: Yes.

Q: So... you want to work for a helpdesk? I thought you were like a software librarian.

A: I'm in IT Asset Management, which is like being a software librarian, yes.

Q: So why didn't you get an IT Asset Management book?

A: There aren't any.

Q: Really? I find that hard to believe.

A: Well, ok, there are a couple. But the IT Asset Management specialization just hasn't existed for very long. I mean, think about it - laptops and software as necessities to business haven't existed for very long, so the need for someone to manage the associated costs and licensing is in its infancy. And it takes a while for the teaching and publishing industry to recognize the trend and teach/publish to it.

Q: Ok, fair enough. So, um, how do you know this won't be like the time you got the editing book? Or the screenwriting book?

A: You callin' me a quitter?

Q: Hey, you've called yourself that many times.

A: Fair enough. No, I don't think I'm going to quit this endeavor. For one thing, my work has a pretty good education benefit, and this is the closest thing I can take classes in at community college that work will pay for. Also, I really am embarassed on the daily about my lack of computer know-how. I feel like I need to catch up.

Q: What about technical writing? Wouldn't they pay for courses in technical writing?

A: Yes. However, in order to write something of a technical nature, you first have to have some knowledge of the information.

Q: Hmm, good point.

A: I know.

Q: Isn't computer stuff really hard though? I mean, computers pretty much work by magic, right?

A: Surprisingly, not at all. Upon reading the first couple of chapters, I found it all fairly straight-forward. Even the terminology, once you crack the acronym codes, makes more sense than a lot of other industry-specific jargon.

Q: But networking - that works by magic, right?

A: Yes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Renpup said...

This post makes me happy. I feel like you wrote it just to explain the A+ stuff to me without writing it in an email just to me. You wrote it to the world. And it's beautiful.

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home