Monday, January 22, 2007

Buffy-oke, the L train and Slovenliness

This weekend was jimmety-jam-packed, in a good way, woohoo!

Friday night me and Ponce de la Provalone went to das Willage for the Buffy Once More With Feeling singalong. Because I am an early girl, I insisted we get there at 10pm, cuz I thought there'd be big long line and whatnot. We got there and there was no line, and when we picked up our tix the guy was like, "Oh, I can tell you're here for Buffy. You have that look." And I was all, uhhhh, I dunno how I feel about that, cuz Provalone had pointed out some other Buffy fans on the train in and they were, well, fug. Like, oh, I'm sorry you got hit by a truck fug. Anyroo, so we went to a diner across the street and I ate ice cream and then Ms. Legs showed up, and then we noticed that hey, there was big ol' line outside the theater! So we went to stand in line in the cold for approximately forEVer.

The Buffy fans were an even mix of cute gay guys and cute chubby girls. We finally were seated and at first I didn't have such a good time because there was some crowd-warming filler stuff, and frankly the non-actor "cast" kind of got me down. Just in the way that nerds, when you realize you are one, kind of can get you down. But then the thing finally started for real and it was very, very fun. Singing along with a bunch of strangers rules. At first everyone's a little scared to sing, but then everyone starts singing and it's just awesome.

There was minimal heckling, probably because we Whedonites revere more than mock. We really do think he's the best thing since Star Wars. No Doubt.

Anyways, it was over and we bid a fond farewell to Legs and rolled on home, and after I dropped Provalone off it started mini-blizzarding so I took a leisurely 20mph stroll home on the Parkway.

Then on Saturday, I had to get up way too early, considering I got to bed at 4am, to go into Williamsburg to meet some friends. My fave thing about going to Williamsburg is taking the L train. On the way in, a guy with a guitar came in and played and sang a probably South American song, and on the way out there was a guy playing Beatles songs not very well but still enjoyably. I mean, hanging out in Williamsburg was fun and o' course seeing the friends was fun, but I really like the train.

Then I went home to my messy, messy, messy room and my messy, messy, messy car. Provalone has told me I'm not allowed to drive her anywhere else until I clean it out. I don't blame her. Nor do I blame anyone who's disgusted by the messiness of my room. I feel particularly guilty because I harshly judge those who are messy when I go to visit them. So, I should be a neater person, no? Is it possible to change that sort of thing, to go from being a slob to a neat person? I can't help but think I could only achieve it by peer pressure, like if I was dating someone who was horrified by my throwing my clothes on the floor. But then again my mom's horrified by my dad's messiness, and he's pretty much still messy. He, like me, just confines it to his own spaces, and it still ticks my mom off...

5 Comments:

Blogger Renpup said...

But you're not GROSS messy. Yes, you have piles of clothes, books, papers, loose change, etc. scattered around your room, but there are no Thai food takeout boxes open on the floor, nor are there feral cats vomiting on your computer keyboard or using your open guitar case as a litter box. Not that I've ever lived in a situation like that before.

6:11 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Ha ha ha. Oh, the bad house. I remember it well.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forwarded your writeup to the person who originally put me onto the Buffy-oke, and she instantly sent back a DCist photo of the DC rollergirl scene. The awesomest thing? One of their skaters is named Speedy Gonbraless.
--Joo seester

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dearest kirs...im invading ur blog space. i feel kinda bad for being so blunt about ur messy space. I mean, it really is like mrs pinchloaf mentioned, its not smelly or anything. It was just sitting on the crunchy papers made me kinda sad and a bit agressive. I hope we're still buds. :o( if it makes u feel better, im a former messy person, except i was way grosser. I used to grow mold in cups. That was pretty bad. Ok this comment is way too long. I guess what im trying to say is im here for ya dude. oh! and im addicted to the buffy musical music now, and i learned "im under ur spell" on guitar. We can have our own sing-a-longs anytime now...

7:15 PM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

1. Singalongs rule
2. I'M at peace with my messiness... but I understand that I live in a world with others...
3. You rule!
4. I'm sleepy.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home