Friday, May 04, 2007

I'm sorry Mac'n'Chee, I think it's over between us

I used to have a very simple relationship with Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, and the generic equivalents of same. It used to be my go-to food narcotic: if I was sad, or lonely, or had just woken up from a nap, I new I could grab a 49C box of tiny rattly noodles, and 7 minutes later add a little milk and a lot of butter and shake out some neon-orange cheese, mix it all up, and voila. Instant orange peace and fulfilled-ness.

I knew there was some shame involved - this was not nourishing food. It was a drug made of starch and salt, a detractor of energy rather than a fueler of future good-times. As I became more aware of the effects of what I ate on how I felt, I began modifying the recipe to include less and eventually no butter and skim milk, and if my friends and I were feelin' fancy we'd add some real cheese to the mix. But really, there's nothing you can do to significantly healthify the mac'n'cheese.

So it's been at least a year and probably longer since I'd had any, until last night. I came home from work early and took a nap, and woke up post-nap grumpified. Rather than settle for the lone can of 98% fat-free chicken noodle soup in my cupboard, I hoofed it to my corner store and grabbed the familiar blue and orange box. 20 minutes later, I had a big bowl of mac'n'cheese.

And it wasn't that good. It was ok. But it just didn't deliver the goods; no drug-like effect of calming and soothing followed by guilt. Sure, I figured I'd have to work out a little bit more to work off the ill caloric effects, but basically, Mac'n'Cheese has lost its magic powers.

I'm glad to no longer be in thrall. But I'll miss the easy out. Goodbye orangy glutinous food. I'll miss you, even though we can no longer be an item.

3 Comments:

Blogger Renpup said...

Awww, I feel you on the mac n' chee! I graduated to the snooty 89 cent variety from Whole Foods or Trader Joes and felt a litte better about myself, but not significantly. I was reassured by the far less alarming muted shade of orange, but it still offers little to no nutritional value. And I can still easily finish the box in one sitting.

I applaud you for quitting that most reassuring of all foodstuffs (to me at least). I'm not there quite yet, but one day, I hope to join you!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about if someone, let's say someone with a bit of cheesemongery in her past, made you some homemade? Might that still tempt you?

(I have your historic mixed-feeling involvment with mac & cheese but with potato chips. They make me feel better...but worse.)

11:59 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Well, I do make a distinction between macaroni and cheese and mac'n'cheez, as one has healthful ingredients, even if it's a bit indulgent, and the other has not actual cheese in it. So yeah, cook me up some macaroni an cheese! Anytime you're cookin', I'm eatin'!

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home