Monday, July 21, 2008

Clunk clunk clunk bzzzzzzzzzz

I have survived my first MRI. Some observations:

1. I guess this was an 'open' MRI machine, because instead of going head first into a plastic tube, I went feet first into a tube with a big round plastic thingy about three inches from my face. I could see out on either side by turning my head. However, it was still disconcerting.

2. Regardless of the fact that I am not technically claustrophobic, I'm glad I was loopy on painkillers during the MRI.

3. Despite the fact that I have no metal in my body, I still try to convince myself that there must be metal in my body somewhere that I've forgotten about.

4. The music that Montclair MRI has on hand is for rilly old folks. I chose 'Broadyway' at first and it was Old Man River and No Business Like Show Business... too trippy along with the clunky sounds of the machine. I asked the tech to switch it up in the middle to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. It was still trippy but seemed more appropriate. 

7 Comments:

Blogger Renpup said...

You've got The Shrapnel in your body somewheres! I just know it.

Is the facility really called Montclair MRI? Like it's THE MRI place in Montclair, with no competition? That's kind of awesome.

6:15 AM  
Blogger 3pennyjane said...

The image of Yogi Berra lying there crooning Pink Floyd as the machine chunks and whirs around him is a beautiful one, innit?

7:33 AM  
Blogger atomic cate said...

i kinda want an MRI at Montclair MRI. you make it sound so ... 2001-ish.

9:18 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

What is confusing about the Montclair MRI place is their name is the Montclair Radiology Institute, and they go by their initials: MRI. So I got an MRI at MRI. Furthermore, they have locations in Montclair, West Caldwell and Clifton... so you could get your MRI at MRI of West Caldwell. Er...?

2:22 PM  
Blogger atomic cate said...

i think something happened to you in that tube. the MRI at MRI of West Caldwell is people!

8:28 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Something may very well have happened to me in that tube... something... strange. I can see things... things that aren't there... pancakes that have yet to be cooked... after I leave this 'dead zone' I have the urge to watch Sixteen Candles over and over...

11:29 AM  
Blogger atomic cate said...

when i see the flour... and eggs... i have visions of plates... empty but for crumbs and syrup... i can smell the orange juice...

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home