Thursday, February 01, 2007

Practicing Falling

So last night at practice we practiced falling a bit. Various people kept saying that we needed to practice landing in various ways because when we actually fall in jams, we won't be able to slow down and take a nice safe fall... now, having had many, many unplanned falls since starting this whole deal, including falling on: the right side of my ass, the left side of my ass, my coccyx, my stomach, my boobilies, and on a couple of memorable occasions, my face, I have to wonder... why do we have to practice something that happens all the time that we really don't have that much control over?

I know lots of skaters would argue vigorously that falling drills are absolutely necessary. Some of them would probably argue so vehemently that they'd be in tears, which would bother me because the motto is 'no crybabies allowed' and lately, I dunno, I've just been noticing some cry-babies. But anyway I shant raise my voice in favor of not doing falling drills, but I not very secretly think they're not that useful.

Last night Black Eye Barbie from the Long Island league came out and practiced with us, and it nearly destroyed me, because she's actually fast and so the pace of our drills and scrimmages was significantly faster. It was awesome tho'. She also showed us a double-whip thingy, where if you whip someone they can then reach back around and whip you, so you're both helping each other go forward and at the same time are creating a wall for the opposing jammer.

I didn't do very well during scrimmages which is too bad because Somebashin' invited The Mister and Mah Serbian Bruthah to film. Le sigh. Still, it was a good practice. Bam Bam for some reason was pushing cannoli, and Brawl and I had a discussion about Guns'n'Roses, which is kind of the topic for a whole other blog.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

is "pushing cannoli" like some New Jersey euphemism?

11:03 AM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Oddly, no. She had a plate of cannoli, wrapped in tin foil, and was asking who wanted cannoli. I said, why do you have cannoli? And she said, Do you want a cannoli? She was like, desperate to get rid of them.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"why do we have to practice something that happens all the time that we really don't have that much control over?"


i highly agree with you.

i fucking hate all those dumb drills.

falling and weaving are right up there at the top of my derby shit list.

<3 cut throat

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home