Thursday, July 31, 2008

Acupuncted, again!

My second intern acupuncture treatment started out a leetle too Marx Brothers for me. There were two interns (different ones than I'd sticking me with pins than the first time) the supervisor and an observer, and they were a bit all over the place. One would start going over my history, the other would cut in to introduce herself, and then they asked if I could take my pants off, and I was like, awesome, please leave so I'll have room to take my pants off, cuz the room is not that big. So then they all got fluttery thinking I needed privacy, and they all filed out, and literally a second later I was like, ok, come back in! At this point I've had massage therapists, doctors, acupuncture interns and a raft of physical therapists seeing and working on my naked ass, so I'm not that self-conscious about taking clothes off. My point is the four of them didn't really have a rhythm. I wasn't expecting much from the session, given their pre-session flutteriness.

Then the interns started palpating points on my back. One of them found a few VERY tender points, meriting an angry 'Ow! Are you sure you're not just pushing down really hard?' from me. The intern assured me she was actually touching me quite gently, so it was decided that pins should go in those spots without delay. This is the part where I gave acupuncture some credence: when they stuck one pin in, the muscle under it actually twitched so much I could feel it, and the pins only go into the top layer of skin. 

Finally they got all the pins in and left me there for 20 minutes. I'm still not sure if it's helping. I always feel dizzy afterwards, but eh... is that a good thing? I don't know. I like hearing the interns talking about which points they're going to stick, cuz all the points are in chinese and all the interns are not chinese. 

4 Comments:

Blogger atomic cate said...

anything that leaves you dizzy must be good for you! maybe you should try huffing, too. just kidding!

so you have new joisians tawking about your chee, bay hooey and choostanlee?

(side note: i hear you can become a famous writer by manipulating the beestanlee point)

2:59 PM  
Blogger walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Well, a lot of your young budding needle stickers seem fresh off the shtetl... not really what I would have pictured, ya know?

4:04 PM  
Blogger atomic cate said...

few people know that the 'chosen' actually comes from the 'cho-sen', and all jews are secretly tied to ancient asia.
man, i love working at the jewish week.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Don't trust the needles with tubes attached. That's heroin, and will make you sreepy.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home